IPAD navigatie

Hallo,

Net een test gelezen (Duitse tijdschrift YACHT Nr.15) of de IPAD geschikt is voor water navigatie naast internet,
E-mail,video ,photo en E-reader ga maar door… Heel positieve test en interessant is dat z.g. APP’s beschikbaar zijn via Apples I-Tunes - org. Navionics charts voor een heel zacht prijsje. B.v. komplete Middelandse Zee in HD kwaliteit
19,90 Euro i.p.v. ongeveer 220 Euro op SD kaart, UK + Nl 29,99 Euro, akku gaat over 10 uren mee,enz.

Nadeel : niet waterdicht maar beschermende behuizingen zijn verkrijgbaar.
Opgelet, alleen de versies WiFi en 3G zijn met A-Gps uitgerust.

Fijn weekeinde.

Lea en Gunter
Gatto Rosso

Beste Gatto Rosso, Ik gebruik nu de IPAD al een week of 6 op mijn boot. Voor navigatie de Navionics app, eerste de Iphone versie, en sinds een week of 3 de speciaal voor de IPAD uitgekomen versie. Ik ben er zeer tevreden mee. Ik gebruik hem als kaartplotter in de kajuit. Bij de stuurstand heb ik een waterdichte geonav plotter. De IPAD is uiterst nauwkeurig, de kaart zeer goed leesbaar en heeft net zo veel detail als de kaart die je koopt voor het tienvoudige. Daarnaast beschik je met 3G overal op de binnenwateren en enkele mijlen op zee over internet, om weerberichten te raadplegen etc.

Vriendelijke groeten

Beste Volmir,

Bedankt voor je reactie.
Gisteren had ik een discussie met een Apple salesman, over de gps werkwijze, maar wel in de Wifi 3G Versie.
Ik ben van mening dat het GPS ook zonder 3G of internet verbinding, de positie zou vinden.
De verkoper zegt NEE, en dat je altijd een internet of 3G verbinding moet hebben. Dus ik denk dat je met de Wifi 3G versie de positie kan bepalen zonder enige connectie, zoals bij je GEONAV plotter.
Weet jij misschien als “gebruiker” hoe dat echt werkt?
Graag je reactie en alvast bedankt,

Gatto Rosso,

Ciao

Beste GAtto Rosso,

Ik heb over je vraag wat van internet afgehaald, waar je wel wat aan hebt denk ik.

Zie onderstaande copy-paste:

Can you use the 3G model’s GPS WITHOUT subscribing to the monthly data plan or you must subscribe to a data plan in order for the GPS hardware to be utilized?
-Ran
Randy - May 10th, 2010
• Randy, the short answer is yes, but the long answer is that you might not like the results. Like smartphones, the iPad is designed to use as little power as possible to preserve battery life. With that in mind the GPS in the iPad 3G is “A-GPS” meaning “assisted” GPS. This means that the GPS chip gets “assistance” finding your location by first approximating your location based on nearby wifi signals as well as nearby cellular towers. Since it will typically be getting this assistance the GPS chip itself is of lower power than those found in a dedicated GPS device and thus isn’t quite as good at pulling in weaker GPS signals I’ve turned off wifi as well as turned off cellular data on my iPad 3G and it can still find and track my location… just not nearly as quickly as it can with “assistance” from wifi and cellular data. So while it does work without the data plan, it might not meet your expectations in how fast it can get a fix, how well it keeps the fix, and how accurately it tracks your location. Reply Tim - May 10th, 2010
◦ I have not subscribed to 3G and my iPad GPS has worked great for GPS Navigation. (I live in a canyon in the mountains). Reply Dustin - May 13th, 2010
◦ There’s quite a bit of confusion out there about what A-GPS means. Basically, “assisted” means that the GPS circuit gets additional location information from one or more data sources, other than satellites. In mobile phones, such supplementary data usually is obtained by distance triangulation to base stations (cell towers). Another location-data source that is increasingly used by GPS devices relies on databases of recorded locations of WiFi hotspots, for example the databases provided by Skyhook Wireless. The latter, incidentally, is the only source of location data used in the iPad WiFi-only model. However, the term A-GPS must NOT be understood as implying anything about the sophistication or “power” of the GPS circuit itself. The only fact the term A-GPS expresses with certainty is that we’re dealing with a hybrid positioning system that is using the Global Positioning System as one of its data sources. A great variety of GPS chips and devices have been on the market that differ in - the number of satellites they can track simultaneously, - processing speed (which may influence the speed of acquiring a position lock), - tolerance to reflected signals and RF interference, - design (specification) accuracy, - and more. I don’t know whether the iPad WiFi+3G model and the iPhone 4 use the same A-GPS circuitry, but they behave differently when in Airplane Mode, i.e. both cellular data and WiFi circuits disabled. In that case, the iPhone provides no location information at all. The iPad 3G, by contrast, continues to provide accurate position readings. Its GPS works well on the road, even in remote mountain valleys and under a thin tree canopy. But it does not get a position lock inside a one-story home, even when cellular data is turned on again. In the same spot, a five year old stand-alone Holux GPSlim 236 Bluetooth GPS Receiver has no trouble delivering a position to the Mac. Unfortunately, neither the iPad nor the iPhone support connections to such Bluetooth data sources, though I have read that a more versatile Bluetooth utility is available for jail-broken iPhones. Nevertheless, the iPhone 4–with Airplane Mode turned off, i.e. cellular data enabled–also displays a strong GPS signal and accurate position in Motion-X GPS inside this same building. That leaves me with the suspicion that the iPad 3G uses a different GPS chip than the iPhone 4. I would have expected the iPad to do at least as well at this location as the iPhone, since the iPad has more space for a potentially better GPS antenna. On the iPhone, with cellular data turned off, but WiFi enabled, position tracking can be quite jerky when driving, depending on the density of WiFi hotspots. In dense urban areas it may actually be good and more accurate than with GPS alone or on a A-GPS cellphone that uses base-station information along with GPS, but without WiFi hotspot data. But in some suburban and generally in rural areas, WiFi alone is not very useful, except if you’re lost and and are lucky enough to come upon a rare hotspot that ends your anxiety. One interesting artifact of 3G A-GPS that you may observe when launching some mapping application: As the app acquires the GPS position, the “current position” marker may initially show up for a short moment at the location of the base station of the cell which currently serves your mobile device, before it shifts more or less swiftly to the vicinity of where you actually are. Go and check out that first spot. You’ll probably find a tower or antenna structure there. Reply Wolf -

Gatta Rosso, Hier kun je de ipad met de navionics app zien. Let wel: dit was nog de iphone-versie van de app. De ipad-versie van de app heeft een veel beter beeld en resolutie.
Vriendelijke groeten

(ik weet niet hoe ik deze foto moet resizen zodat hij goed binnen t schermpje past. anders even opslaan en op de pc bekijken)

hallo allemaal,

Eindelijk de Ipad 3G wifi gekocht incl.Navionics App Middellandse zee en al 3 weken in gebruik. En het heeft zich bewezen. Gps fix onmiddellijk ,tracking uitstekend, display prachtig , informatie en gebruiksgemak echt overtuigend. Dan ook nog email en internet,e-boeken lezen en 10 filmen opgeslagen - niet gekeken ,weer was te goed.

Enig minpunt is natuurlijk dat de Ipad niet waterdicht is ,maar een waterdichte hoes is al bestelt.
Dus voor ons echt het ideale toestel voor de boot en op reis.
Bedankt voor de reacties en fijn weekeinde.

Gunter en Lea - Gatto Rosso. Tropea